Thursday, September 17, 2009

An Islander Goes Inland--Chaptor 3











My regrets on being absent for the past few days but internet access is definitely not universal in the wilds of Wyoming and Utah. I left you off in Rawlins, WY, about halfway across Wyoming. On Sunday, we covered the western half of the state on I-80 and I managed to not take a single picture. To say the least the high plains territory turned into utter desolation and very high winds. At long last, we entered Utah and returned to red rocked canyons, green and flowing rivers. It felt more like we had survived than completed a mere journey.
We spent three wonderful days in Eden, Utah with old friends from my college days. In about five minutes, 40 years had managed to slide away and many happy hours were spent just catching up and laughing. Fun times indeed. Eden is a valley in the Wasatch Range separated from Ogden, Utah by about a 10 mile canyon which follows a flowing stream--beautiful.

On Wednesday, we drove from Eden up to Jackson Hole, Wyoming and achieved one of my goals in life which was to see firsthand the Tetons. Stunning is an understatement. They are nigh on impossible to capture on film or canvas. Rising right out of the floor of the valley they appear taller than they really are. I took way too many pictures but maybe I can do something with them later to feebly attempt to capture their grandeur. Jackson Hole is in a word overwhelmed with touristas so it was fun playing one of them; simply way too much money floating around that town. A shoppers delight but I'm afraid we didn't buy a thing. On Thursday we drove down to Casper, Wyoming through more desolation but not quite as bad as the western I-80 experience. On Friday, it's back to Boulder to finish up and catch a plane Monday morning. I do miss Casco Bay and my whacky tribe on Peaks. It'll be good to get back but tough to say goodby for now to Sean and Monika. Here's a few pics from the recent treks. The first two are from Eden, Utah where we stumbled across a nice double rainbow and the last is my newest, bestest friend I unexpectedly met in Jackson Hole. Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home